Employer incentives to recruit apprentices
The Government has introduced an incentive payment to employers who recruit apprentices.
- Incentive payment of £2000 for EACH apprentice an employer recruits aged between 16 and 24
- Incentive payment of £1500 for EACH apprentice an employer recruits aged 25+
- The incentives will only be paid for NEW apprentices recruited into the organisation, not existing staff
- The incentive payments are IN ADDITION to the existing £1000 employer incentive paid when they recruit a 16 to 18 year old. This means that if an employer recruits a 16 to 18 year old apprentice they will receive £2000 new incentive payment for recruiting a 16 to 24 year old, PLUS the existing £1000 incentive for recruiting a 16 to 18 year old. Making a total of £3000.
- The incentive will be paid only for apprentices recruited between 1st August 2020 and 31st January 2020
- Employers can only claim the incentive payment if they have an online apprenticeship service account. Many employers will already have one. It is a simple process to set one up, and tpm is available to help employers with this.
- The incentive is paid in 2 instalments: one after 90 days, and one after 365 days. To claim the full payment, the apprentice must be in post for the minimum of a year.
For further information on these Apprenticeship recruitment incentives, download the official Government guidance