19 Mar tpm duo go to great lengths to support hair loss charity
The Little Princess Trust is a hair loss charity founded in 2006 to help young people up to the age of 24. Specifically, they provide real hair wigs to those who have lost their hair for any reason.
Helen Carroll, tutor for tpm’s hairdressing apprenticeship programme, decided to get her hair chopped off for the charity. Then, receptionist Paula Ebden followed suit. Brian Quinn, tpm director says:
“This is a great example of the worthwhile causes staff members choose to support on their own initiative. I’m so proud of their community-focussed attitude. In particular because it reflects tpm’s philosophy of doing all we can to support the individuals we serve. Personally, I was blown away by Helen and Paula’s selflessness. Deciding to get your hair cut from long to short can be a drastic decision”.
Just Giving page for hair loss charity
After reading that the minimum length for hair donations was seven inches, Helen gathered her hair into pony tail and measured it. It was over seven inches. Consequently, she decided to go under the scissors for the worthy cause. In addition to donating her hair, Helen set up a Just Giving page. As a result she has almost reached the halfway mark for the £200 she’s aiming to raise.
The hair loss charity campaign got an extra boost when tpm’s receptionist Paula Ebden was inspired to have her hair cut off too.
In addition to the Just Giving page, collection boxes have been available for donations at our Lime Street headquarters.
A great cause
Paula told us:
“I was quite nervous about having my hair cut because it has been long for more than twenty years. Nevertheless, I knew I could grow mine back. Unfortunately the girls supported by the charity can’t right now. So I felt good giving to such a great cause. Whilst it was only 9 inches of hair, it counts towards being able to make a wig for somebody who needs it more than me.”
Likewise, Helen says:
“Working in the hairdressing industry, I understand just how important hair is for a person’s image, confidence and self-esteem. To be able to help and support a person, who has lost their hair for whatever reason, is humbling.”
If you’re feeling inspired to donate your hair, find out more on the Little Princess website
In the meantime, here are some pointers:
- The ideal donation is hair that’s 16″ (41cm) or longer; try and keep growing until it’s at least 12″ (30cm)
- The minimum length for donated hair is 7 inches (17cm)
- Send in clean, dry hair, from any gender (do not send wet hair – it will not dry properly and can’t be used)
- Great condition (no split ends) and of any natural colour
- Straight, wavy or chemically straightened
- Permanently dyed;* bleached/highlighted hair (*if dye is of a natural colour)
- Ponytail/s cut a long time ago are ok as long as they have been preserved in good condition
- The charity accepts hair from within and outside the UK
Make a donation to Helen and Paula’s Just Giving page